Friday, November 22, 2013

It's Friday, so I fail at blogging...

Wow, this week whizzed by so fast, I think I have whiplash.

So fast, in fact, that I didn't realize that I'd missed blogging on Thursday until it has already come and gone. To compensate for this, not only am I writing my usual seemingly innocuous post, but I am also going to share with you some links and a bit of this year's NANOWRIMO novel (from what I have so far). Forgive me?

First, a meme:


MUSIC ASKS (if you think this isn't hard, I challenge you to do fill this out with your own picks, buddy!)...

1: A song you like with a color in the title: Paint It Black
2: A song you like with a number in the title: 99 Red Balloons
3: A song that reminds you of summertime: Don Henley's "Boys of Summer"
4: A song that reminds you of someone you would rather forget about: anything The Chemical Brothers
5: A song that needs to be played LOUD: Bulletproof by La Roux
6: A song that makes you want to dance: I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance - The Black Kids
7: A song to drive to: Young Folks - Peter Bjorn & John
8: A song about drugs or alcohol: Heroin - Velvet Underground
9: A song that makes you happy: see "song that makes you want to dance"
10: A song that makes you sad: The Dixie Chicks' of Patty Griffin's "Top Of The World"
11: A song that you never get tired of: pretty much anything Michael Jackson did in the '80s.
12: A song from your preteen years: Hazy Shade of Winter - The Bangles
13: One of your favorite 80’s songs: Drive - The Cars
14: A song that you would love played at your wedding: Love Song - The Cure
15: A song that is a cover by another artist: Boys of Summer - Bree Sharp
16: One of your favorite classical songs: Moonlight Sonata - Beethoven
17: A song that would sing a duet with on karaoke: Islands In The Stream - Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers
18: A song from the year that you were born: You Make Me Feel Like Dancing - Leo Sayer
19: A song that makes you think about life: Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand - Primitive Radio Gods
20: A song that has many meanings to you: Shake It Out - Florence & The Machine
21: A favorite song with a person’s name in the title: Evangeline - Matthew Sweet
22: A song that moves you forward: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
23: A song that you think everybody should listen to: anything by Rufus Wainwright
24: A song by a band you wish were still together: Concrete Blonde
25: A song by an artist no longer living: Grace - Jeff Buckley
26: A song that makes you want to fall in love: One & Only - Adele
27: A song that breaks your heart: A Good Year For The Roses - Elvis Costello
28: A song by an artist with a voice that you love: Tears Dry On Their Own - Amy Winehouse
29: A song that you remember from your childhood: The Tide Is High - Blondie
30: A song that reminds you of yourself: Nothing Came Out - The Moldy Peaches


Now that we're done with that, please turn your attention to this book trailer for a brand new YA novel I am anticipating:



And finally, an excerpt from my 2013 NANOWRIMO novel:

“Mindy?” a voice called. I looked up. Elisha. The pretty blond schoolteacher, in her mid-forties (so at least dad hadn't chosen someone so very much younger), was walking toward me. I stood up, but then felt dizzy and had to sit back down.
“Oh, sweetheart!” she said. “My god!”
“Where's my dad?” I said, almost surprised by the sound of my own voice. By her exclamation, I could tell that I was a sight to behold.
“He's parking the car. How are you? They didn't tell us a lot. They said you found...a body?”
I pressed my eyes closed. I wasn't sure I could talk about it yet. I must have started to cry again, but didn't realize it. I felt Elisha put her arms around me.
“You poor...I'm so...” she began to say, but stopped herself. “I don't know what to say. There's just...what can I do?”
“Nothing,” I said, shaking my head against her shoulder. I pulled away. I didn't want her hugs. I didn't want anyone to touch me ever again. I tried to be nice, but there didn't seem to be anything to say. What was the etiquette for talking to someone who had just found a dead body?
“Where's your brother?” Elisha said. She glanced around the office then, finally realizing he was missing from this reunion. She saw Declan across the room. He looked so small and my heart felt like it would explode. I knew I needed to be with him, but I didn't know how I could. My chest was heavy and I felt so cold. Nothing felt real exactly.
“Mindy!” my father's voice boomed through the police station. He bounded over, put his arms around me. I let my arms fall to my sides. I was stiff in his embrace, biting back the scream I felt was lingering at the back of my throat. He pulled back and looked at me, then looked over to Elisha, who had Declan at her side. He bent down and put his arms around my brother.
“I'm so glad you're alright,” he said. “The thought that something could have happened to you two – out there, if the killer was still...”
“She was cold,” Declan said.
“What baby?” Elisha said, bending down to hear him more clearly.
“She was...cold,” he said again. “She must have been there...awhile.” He started to cry again and my heart began to beat wildly.
“Mindy, are you alright?” Elisha said, sounding alarmed. I hadn't noticed I was gasping for breath until she said it. I blinked and regulated my breathing, but began to shake again. She sat down next to me.
“Did you know the girl?” Elisha said, putting her arm around me. The inevitable question. “I mean, they said she went to your school. That she was a junior, too. You must have seen her in some classes.”
I couldn't speak. I couldn't say her name, couldn't tell them how I knew her. How much I knew her. I glanced up at my father. His brow was creased and he was shaking his head at Elisha.



=====

Thanks for reading! I'll be back next week with my regularly scheduled THURSDAY blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment