Thursday, August 8, 2013

We Now Return To Your Regularly Scheduled Blog...

Or, in other words, this is a departure from my novella as I have been posting it these last two weeks. You got treated to two months worth of installments in two weeks' time; you can expect the next installment on September 5th. Until then, you can catch up with the last two. How lucky for you! Heh. And if you're really looking for new online distractions, be sure to check out my Tumblr project, How We Met, featuring some beautiful, happy couples and their love stories, as told by them. If you're inspired, send me yours & perhaps I'll post it!


And now that all of my shameless plugs are out of the way, let us chat about this week.

First, if you haven't seen the Dan Clowes exhibit at Chicago's Museum of Contemporary Art, get thee to said exhibition pronto! Seriously, though, it's very cool, even if I am a little snarky about that particular museum (I am not a modern art hater, per se; just a modern art snubber). I admit, I do think it's sort of ironic to see him given the time of day there, considering that, with everything he does, he sort of thumbs his nose at the modern art world. See: Ileana Douglas's character in Ghost World (mirror, father, mirror...*snort*). Or the entirety of Art School Confidential. But anyway, this exhibit is tops and a nice way to spend an afternoon downtown.

Second, I look like a crazy person, sitting here at the local Starbucks with not one, but TWO, venti beverages. That's the 20 oz. for those of you who don't speak chain-coffee-establishment. The barista accidentally made my triple venti hazelnut macchiato a triple venti caramel macchiato instead, then offered it up to me for free along with my original beverage order. Well, I don't turn down free coffee, so I drank one and I have the other sitting here next to me, ready to go home and sit overnight in my fridge so that I can have an iced coffee in the morning. BUT...of course it looks like I am just sitting here downing the caffeine. Which is not altogether untrue, as that first drink was pretty potent. Ha! So you are dealing with a very bouncy Louise.

Finally, since I have your attention for the moment, I wanted to say that I just finished - FINALLY!- the best lesbian YA coming-of-age story I have read in a LONG time: The Miseducation of Cameron Post. I want to gush about this book so much that I might decide to dedicate a separate post to it. I kept getting distracted from it because I was reading it in the middle of GRE-studying and Chicago Pride month - busy, busy times for me. But my slow-reading arse finally inhaled the last page last night and wanted more. Now I will welcome recommendations for more lesbian YA, if you can actually find one I HAVEN'T read. That said, next week's post will be all about lesbian coming-of-age stories, because that's how I roll.

But for now, I leave you with this: Anne Sexton reading one of my favorite poems of hers. It's August 8th - yearly parental death anniversary #2 - and that means that today, in 2004, my dad passed away. Instead of talking endlessly about a difficult subject I've already covered, but not letting the day pass unnoticed or unacknowledged, I'll let Anne do the talking.


And now, my lovelies, it's time for me to head home and do some personal journaling. Tune in next Thursday, though, for another much-awaited (by, like, three people, perhaps) blog post from yours truly.

xoxo

L*

No comments:

Post a Comment