Saturday, September 4, 2010

'Cause I don't shine if you don't shine...

Here's my attempt at a full update, given to you in categories. 

Life: I don't want to jinx anything but the absolute latest news is that I may be getting a shelver job at the Evanston Public Library. This was a complete surprise to me - I was getting desperate, even looking at jobs I knew would make me nervous and sick to my stomach half the time. I had applied for the EPL job months ago, had an interview and hadn't gotten it. I guess the position opened up again and they called me early this past week. I think the drug test on Wednesday (which I should pass considering the strongest drug I use these days is decaf coffee and maybe the occasional alcoholic beverage) is the only thing I have left to worry about - then I can start. But like I said, I don't want to jinx it. 

On Friday, I also started volunteer work for Gerber/Hart Library. I spend far too much time in libraries, but they do make me happy. I was nervous, but it wasn't bad. The guy who was training me was friendly and I like the chaos of the place. It's also near Metropolis Coffee and close to the lake - I can walk to each, so I can presumably grab a soy latte and go stare at the water. That will be good and useful when I am feeling sad, nostalgic, homesick, dreamy or thoughtful - which is often and not just these days.

I also finally paid off my debt to UIC, so I can go back whenever I can afford tuition, etc. for the one last class I need. Heh, yeah. That may be never at the pokey pace I am going. But at least having two jobs might help - though my first priority is to start a savings account and to siphon away enough that I can get a place of my own (which may, of course, be a sublet seeing as how my credit is still bad - despite all my strides in the right direction over the past four years). 

Writing:  The writing group has been a consistently good experience and my revision of Ordinary World is coming along, though at a snail's pace. I think one more revision will be in order when I am done. I've also started a book blog over here, where I try to post at least twice a week and I have enlisted other bloggers and writers to submit reviews and other book-related pieces as well. NANOWRIMO is coming up on November and I am debating on whether or not to start writing something new (or continue work on something I started early this year but only got up to Chapter Three or Four) or use the time to revise my first novel. 

I have been experiencing difficulty keeping up with this blog and think that part of the problem is that I feel too exposed writing about personal stuff. Trying to write superficial blogs about my life doesn't seem to work as well and I've considered abandoning it. But I don't think I will. I need a place to write the sporadic movie review or about trips, writing, progress, thoughts, etc. However, perhaps I will go back to writing more regularly in my locked Livejournal like a friend of mine recently has. I have missed it and it would be nice to have a place to empty my head. I can do that on paper sometimes, but not for long or my stupid Carpal Tunnel will get my hand cramped up.  My hunt-and-peck typing is not as bad on it. 

Social Outings: I have been trying to be a little more social - that's as common a refrain from me as "I know I haven't written here in awhile" though. But I have. I went to see Scott Pilgrim v/s The World with Bill - which was great, by the way. I am completely in love with this movie. I managed to have beers with the writing group when a member got a new job and was taking a hiatus. I've attended a couple of movie nights at Jon's place - and will be going over there again for an upcoming board game night. I wish I had more time for friends, but these days I am often trying to balance that with time for myself. The ghost tour is coming up in October, though. Ooh, October... speaking of that...
Seasons: I am looking forward to fall in a big way. The light is already becoming that low, white light of autumn and I am starting to feel it a little, which is amazing since I've been in a rather numbed state lately. It's still a little muted, but I am hoping that when it comes in full force, I'll be shocked out of this state. 

Music: I have been listening to a rather diverse playlist lately: La Roux, Bessie Smith, Ma Rainey, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, New Order, Billie Holiday, Vanessa Brown, The Ramones, Florence & The Machine, The Dresden Dolls and Siouxsie Sioux. I was listening to a lot of pop stuff (dear lord, help me, why am I listening to Beyonce?!), dance stuff and songs from Glee (heh, yeah) over the summer, but I think as the seasons change, so do what I want to pound my eardrums with.

Watching Movies: Like I said, I went to see Scott Pilgrim v/s The World. Recently, I also watched Kickass - which was. I especially loved Hit Girl, who was just a badass. Other than that, I watched Crazy Heart (very bittersweet) and The Private Lives of Pippa Lee (which was just kind of weird and hard to get attached to). I can't think of anything else we've really watched recently. I've been in a bit of a movie drought. Ha, remember when I was going to watch all 100 AFI movies? Or half that? Yeah, that didn't happen. Maybe next year.

And I think that's actually all for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment