Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Book Cover of the Week: Hiding The Hideous - by Louise Tripp


This week's book cover, that for the book Brief Interviews With Hideous Men by David Foster Wallace, was submitted by Alexandra and features a man with a paperbag on his head, which reminded me of the cover of Augusten Burroughs' Running With Scissors (see right). It's not a bad idea for an image, I think, to hide something when you are trying to attract the interest of a reader. I know I find myself drawn to books with veiled faces or cropped bodies on the covers and I have to wonder: Is it because it's interesting thinking that there is a secret to be found within the covers? That the author (or more likely, the book designer) is alluding to something hidden? I know that I am never thinking this consciously, but on some level, that must be part of it: Intrigue. Fascinating thought. 

Challenge: Recreate this cover in photographs and I'll post it here next week.

Got an idea for a Book Cover of the Week? Email: lulutripp@gmail.com


Louise Tripp grew up in North Carolina. She currently lives in Chicago, where she is revising her first YA novel and working in a public library. You can read her regular blog at http://risktoblossom.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment