Thursday, January 7, 2010

.you'd see further if you'd close your eyes.

It's been a few days since I've posted. It's been a long week and I've been stressed to the max. I just haven't felt up to spending a lot of time online. I have been editing, but haven't managed to write anything new since last weekend. Instead, I've been trying to chill out and just clear my head.

Last night, Kathy and I watched The Proposal, which was mildly amusing - especially due to an appearance by Betty White. It's not a great movie - there are quite a few cringe-worthy moments that just feel so forced. Like, they just had  to put in a scene where Bullock and Reynolds see each other naked, and it's not even very natural. The "accidental" exposure goes on a little too long to feel like an accident. But there were a few genuine laughs and I was drinking, so it was enjoyable enough. I didn't hate it.

I've also been reading. I'm on another of Ariel Schrag's graphic novels, this one chronicling her senior year of high school. So far, I love her work, even when some of the discussions and thought processes of Ariel and her friends have a very teenage way about them. For instance, their discussions about who has what they call "it" - which is something that is never clearly defined - and Ariel's feelings about sex: in Potential, though she has identified as a lesbian and she says only likes girls, she says she won't feel like she's lost her virginity until she has sex with her friend/ex-boyfriend, Zally. The one I'm reading now is called Likewise and it's a little more stream-of-consciousness, but I am especially loving the repeated mentioning of James Joyce.

I also finished Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Dear lord, do remind me that when I am already depressed I should try to steer clear of post-apocalyptic literature! That's not to say that I didn't like it. I actually loved it - but it was heart-wrenching. I kept trying not to cry in public.

Aside from that, I am watching Season 8 of Degrassi: TNG from Netflix (K. and I recently finished Fringe together) but I still haven't managed to start the AFI Top 100 movies. I do have Citizen Kane and The Godfather awaiting, however. I'm hopefully going to get a chance to watch them this weekend.

For now, I think I'll go attempt to put some music on my new laptop (so I can create a nice blogging playlist!) and go see what my girlfriend is up to in the other room.

No comments:

Post a Comment