Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Ye Olde Wishlist

I must admit that, when it comes to the holidays, I really prefer buying gifts for other people. I am someone who sees things all year that remind me of certain people, but I feel too dorky just getting folks gifts out-of-the-blue. So I save up all my ideas for this time of year.

Despite this fact, I have been dreaming of material goods these days. I'm somewhat ashamed to admit this, but I've decided not to fight it. Afterall, I have a serious lack of the regular, enormous material possessions that most people get (and probably take for granted). Case in point: furniture. Yeah, I don't own any. The bed I sleep on belongs to my roommate's family. The bookshelves on which I keep my books and the desk on which I keep my laptop - all my roommate's stuff. I was lucky to find a furnished place, even if it is not really my own. The laptop was given to me by a friend. I do have a TV, which I did buy (I am a sucker for movies and can't live without them). However, when the DVD player on it broke last month, my girlfriend passed her old one onto me.

The fact is, I never buy material goods except the occasional much-needed clothing item (and only when I get really desperate) and things like books, cds or movies (but usually only if I can get them at half-price or if my money goes to a terrific independent bookstore like Women & Children First in Andersonville). I own almost nada. Hard to believe, but it's true.

This fact never really bothers me most of the time. I don't want to have so much to carry anymore, because I move so often. I get antsy. I don't like living with other people, so if I have to, I try to play "musical roommates" as much as possible. The one time I did live in my own place, though (gods, what bliss!), I had to move from there, too. Long, depressing story that involves the death of a parent, a slight mental breakdown, unemployment and me moving back to North Carolina for a brief (but not brief enough) and miserable stint. Yes, it makes sense that I have lightened my load over the years.

However, that said, I am seriously lacking in "stuff." And I miss it. Not that I expect you guys to go buy me beds, bookshelves or even the screws to put such things together. But you know, if you ever want to, I won't stop you. Heh.

Anyway, since we're on the subject of holidays, I updated my Amazon Wishlist recently. It basically includes pretty much everything I could possibly want or need. Of course, gift cards for places like Target would be nice, too. I am getting to a desperate pants situation lately (i.e, I am falling out of all but two pairs). Ah, holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment